An accountant’s role is one of the most important jobs in a business organization because they must look after all the accounting and finances. Accounting is the most important principle of running a successful business because it helps you track all the income your business is earning, the expenses it must pay, what rules to follow, and how to improve the financial systems. Having an accounting system for your business will help investors better understand the situation of your business and give insight into your liquidity position.
The roles and responsibilities of an accountant include accurate bookkeeping is accurate, offering guidance and tips for improvement, preparing and maintaining critical financial reports, preparing tax returns, conducting forecasting and risk analysis assessments, evaluating financial operations to recommend best practices, identifying issues, strategizing solutions, and helping organizations run efficiently. While a business is working with an accountant, the owner should ask essential questions, including:
- How and when to contact the accountants? A key to running a successful business is good communication. Until your communication with your stakeholders is clear and understood, you will not be able to send or receive the message properly, which can lead to significant errors and financial loss. You should determine a schedule and the preferred method of contact with your accountants beforehand to prevent confusion during emergencies or when urgent decisions must be made.
- How to prepare for taxes and prevent penalties? Tax preparation is by far the most challenging task for a business. An accounting professional is trained to guide you through tax preparation to save you from extra stress or prepare your taxes for you. The accountants can determine what tax credits and deductions your business can claim, and they will inform you about new rules and laws the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) releases each year. The accountant gathers all the necessary data regarding taxes for you to save you from tax-season stress.
- How can my business grow? An accountant’s job is to help a small business grow successfully and survive all the stages of a business cycle. An accountant should analyze and help create business plans and budgets that effectively and efficiently grow it. The accountant should also help develop business strategies to ensure that the business is on the right track for growth and financial health.
- How to improve my cash flows? A qualified accountant can suggest ways to make your cash flows positive and increase your inflows. They will also recommend how to decrease payments or expenses to reduce outflows. A cash flow statement is important for an accountant as they will need it to make further predictions and plans accordingly.
- How can improvements be made and errors be prevented? The right accountant for you will quickly identify your business’s mistakes and what is draining your funds that can lead to potential failure. It is important to communicate honestly with your accountant; you should not hide any failures or misfortunes from them, as this information is vital to measure the business performance.
- How to identify my business’ break-even point? Determining the break-even point of your business can be difficult as the calculations are complicated and confusing. That is why you should take your accountant’s help in calculating the break-even point of your business. Getting to know the break-even point is also crucial because it sorts out a lot of business situations. You can learn how much funds your business needs to cover the total costs of your business expenditures.
If you have enough resources, you should invest in hiring an accountant. The biggest key to a successful business is the right person to handle finances. You should have an excellent professional relationship with your accountant, and you should communicate well with them to prevent any sort of misunderstanding in the decision-making process. Make sure that you have hired the right type of accountant for your business who is familiar with your accounting systems and can handle the problems easily.About Complete Controller® – America’s Bookkeeping Experts Complete Controller is the Nation’s Leader in virtual bookkeeping, providing service to businesses and households alike. Utilizing Complete Controller’s technology, clients gain access to a cloud platform where their QuickBooks™️ file, critical financial documents, and back-office tools are hosted in an efficient SSO environment. Complete Controller’s team of certified US-based accounting professionals provide bookkeeping, record storage, performance reporting, and controller services including training, cash-flow management, budgeting and forecasting, process and controls advisement, and bill-pay. With flat-rate service plans, Complete Controller is the most cost-effective expert accounting solution for business, family-office, trusts, and households of any size or complexity.