A business calculates its profit and loss through an income statement. An income statement is created by calculating the cost of sales and then further deducting all the expenses from it (and adding other incomes, if any). Net loss is also known as net operating loss (NOL). If the value after deducting the expenses is negative, the business did not earn any profits but is facing a loss. Causes of a loss are low revenues, very high amounts of expenses, and high competition.
To prevent losses, entrepreneurs should adopt some strategies in the business to gain profits. The owners should determine the causes of facing a loss in the industry and work to improve it. One of the most important factors to consider while finding ways to reduce costs is productivity and efficiency. Efficient productivity ensures that more work will be done in less time, hence reducing costs. Here are a few measures an entrepreneur should take to prevent losses:
- Building a Business Plan. To prevent failures and losses in a business, the owners should create a strong business plan and execute it accurately. Usually, business plans happen at the company’s start, but an entrepreneur should keep updating them and set more future goals according to the business situation. Instead of just adding, you can change the business plan when the old incentives are no longer needed.
- Cut down as many expenses as possible. You can start by reducing supply expenses. Office supplies can be found at much cheaper rates if appropriately researched. Large companies like BJ’s, Amazon, or Wal-Mart offer supplies at a discounted price and will save you a lot of money. Decrease your production costs by finding economies of scale. Find loans with fewer interest rates and discover a line of credit. Find efficient time strategies and make the most out of your space.
- Find ways to increase your revenues. You can either increase the prices of your products or find more customers. A disadvantage you might face while increasing the costs is fewer customers if you’re dealing in a competitive or mass market. But rising prices might not be an issue if you are in a niche market. You can increase the number of customers by introducing new packaging to attract them or using social media to reach out to them.
- Be aware of thefts. Try introducing safety rules in the business to prevent customer or staff theft. Protect your data to avoid cyber-attacks. Train your staff and get an experienced IT staff. It will contain many significant losses as thefts could potentially be large, too. You should also protect customer data from gaining their trust and loyalty.
- Get professional help. If your business is failing and facing losses, you should get a financial analyst’s help. A financial analyst works on your financial balances and suggests what’s best for the business’s financial situation. They will help with making the liquidity situation stable. They locate problems and propose improvements that can change the situation. They also point out techniques to ensure efficient productivity.
- Merge with other small businesses. Find profitable companies willing to collaborate with you and use their finances to generate new products to earn profits. Merging with a firm will reduce operational costs, and your business can achieve economies of scale. It can also reduce competition if you’re performing a horizontal merge, as you will have a combined number of customers.
Businesses, especially startups, go through many situations where they face losses. An entrepreneur should follow the courses of action mentioned above to prevent these situations from happening again. Think creatively and intelligently for the betterment of your business and to make it successful. If owners are too stressed to handle all these problems, they should consult professional help to make it easier. It might cost the business a little, but it will be beneficial and cost-saving in the long run. If these measures are taken and executed correctly, the company will earn profits quickly.About Complete Controller® – America’s Bookkeeping Experts Complete Controller is the Nation’s Leader in virtual bookkeeping, providing service to businesses and households alike. Utilizing Complete Controller’s technology, clients gain access to a cloud platform where their QuickBooks™️ file, critical financial documents, and back-office tools are hosted in an efficient SSO environment. Complete Controller’s team of certified US-based accounting professionals provide bookkeeping, record storage, performance reporting, and controller services including training, cash-flow management, budgeting and forecasting, process and controls advisement, and bill-pay. With flat-rate service plans, Complete Controller is the most cost-effective expert accounting solution for business, family-office, trusts, and households of any size or complexity.