Rental property is undoubtedly a lucrative way to create a substantial side income. It is considered a solid and stable source of earnings. However, since every coin has two sides, rental property can turn your world upside down if you make an incorrect decision. Numerous risks are involved in this process, notably- damages and vacancies.
Nevertheless, many options are available in the real estate market for owning a rental property.
How to find the right property?
According to numerous experts in this field, buying rental property in a decent neighborhood is fundamental as it appeals to specific renters, especially families.
School district: Another crucial element to consider while purchasing a rental property is to search for a suitable location with a good school system in the neighborhood. This way, more families will look forward to acknowledging your property.
- Crime rates: A significant factor affecting the decision to buy a property is the crime ratio in that area. Many people avoid even glancing at the house consequently. Consider conducting thorough research before investing in a home.
- Vacancies: An area with several vacancies leaves a negative impression on the renter. Before making a purchase, consider all the essential factors that influence the renter to pursue the decision.
The rental properties are certainly rewarding in financial terms and offer multiple tax benefits, but there are a few drawbacks, for instance, upkeep cost, difficulty with tenants, and inadequate liquidity. We will explain these cons later in this article.
Here are some disadvantages
- Increasing tax
- Absence of liquidity
- Challenging tenants
- Unlikeable change in tax code
- Bad neighborhood
- Maintenance cost
- Rising mortgage rates
These were a few cons; nevertheless, let’s discuss the benefits.
It is an excellent source of passive income. This factor adds more to your financial security in the future.
- Diversified portfolio: As an investor, you must have invested in stocks and bonds. However, according to the father of intelligent investment, it’s imperative to diversify your portfolio. In this aspect, real estate is the most reliable option. It does not depreciate, but instead, its value increases with time.
- Owning a rental property gives you the authority to sell it when the right time comes. It is known as property appreciation.
- A secondary residence: You may not find yourself comfortable while dwelling in the current residence; without much hassle, you can move to your rental property.
- Financial security: Americans have grown to be more considerate of their retirement plans. For this reason, they seek opportunities to facilitate economic independence, and investing in rental properties is the most lucrative method.
Now understand the responsibilities and challenges one may experience after getting entitled to a landlord position. Earning side income sounds attractive, but specific issues need your attention. For instance, finding suitable tenants who pay rent on time is a significant concern. Afterward, the maintenance hassles are enough to give you headaches since it has the potential to consume your profits. We advise you to hire a property manager for a better experience if you can afford it.
When to buy a rental property? When you are financially stable. If you are drowning under the responsibility to keep up with debts, do not commit the grave sin of purchasing a property now. Once you are done with clearing the debts, pursue the decision.
Although financing options are available in the market, they also come with financial obligations that may become dreadful for you to maintain in the long run. Investing in real estate calls for sensible and sound decision-making ability.
In addition, some additional unanticipated costs can reduce your profit, such as burst pipes, roof damage, paint in the house, etc. We advise you to allocate at least 20% aside for these unexpected expenses.
Most importantly, you need to decide on your return. Conduct comprehensive research on current market rates. How much do you expect to earn? After investigation, decide on a profitable yet affordable rent for the tenants. It can be tempting to set a higher return, but that can backfire.About Complete Controller® – America’s Bookkeeping Experts Complete Controller is the Nation’s Leader in virtual bookkeeping, providing service to businesses and households alike. Utilizing Complete Controller’s technology, clients gain access to a cloud platform where their QuickBooks™️ file, critical financial documents, and back-office tools are hosted in an efficient SSO environment. Complete Controller’s team of certified US-based accounting professionals provide bookkeeping, record storage, performance reporting, and controller services including training, cash-flow management, budgeting and forecasting, process and controls advisement, and bill-pay. With flat-rate service plans, Complete Controller is the most cost-effective expert accounting solution for business, family-office, trusts, and households of any size or complexity.