Pet grooming is one of the most common services on which a pet owner spends their money since many do not have the time or knowledge needed to groom their pets properly.
This creates an opportunity to start a personal pet grooming service for someone who does have the knowledge and ability. An experienced pet groomer in love with animals can take advantage of this situation and turn caring for pets into a profitable business.
The Advantages of Pet Grooming Business
- The business can operate from the front of a store. If there is not a store-front space, then it might be a good option to rent space at the front of the pet-related business like a kennel or a pet store.
- Pet grooming can also become a mobile business if the vehicle is spacious and well equipped.
- The workload largely depends on the owner, and it could be as little or as much as the owner wants. Initially, it could be an additional source of income. Still, with a great client base, it can be converted to a full-time According to the study of QC Pet, a person working independently full time is expected to make nearly $28,000 annually.
- A love for animals can be profitable. A person having a love for household pets can use this opportunity to earn income through what he loves.
- There are multiple ways to approach clients. If a store-front space can be rented at a pet store, then a pet grooming business owner can feasibly take clients each day the store is open. If working in a home-based business or mobile business, the owner can still develop a good relationship with a pet store and build a solid client base.
- The business can be expanded by providing additional services like pet sitting or dog walking.
The Disadvantages of Pet Grooming Business
- The initial cost can be expensive for an individual to build a business. To become an expert pet groomer, top quality supplies are required to meet all breeds’ needs. Having the proper equipment like bathtubs and tables is important, which can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
- To run a successful pet grooming business, it takes more than just a love for animals. The individual must have enough knowledge to handle multiple pets, breeds, and animal natures, and most importantly, professional grooming skills. Though it is not required, an individual can become certified through the National Dog Groomers Association of America to share skills and knowledge and gain credibility.
- A target market can have a positive impact on the business. Generally, more affluent areas have a higher demand for pet grooming.
- Having insurance coverage is important to protect the owner from any liability but can also be costly.
- As it can take a lot of time to build a good client base, having an online presence is important and can be an avenue to make connections with people in the same industry.
An individual must also have additional equipment like cages and dryers to meet the business’s requirements. It might be difficult to manage multiple pets at first but repeat clients can help an individual develop a good relationship with the pets and owners alike.
Before starting a personal pet grooming business, it is important to work voluntarily as a pet groomer. Doing so will give an individual the necessary experience to work professionally later on.About Complete Controller® – America’s Bookkeeping Experts Complete Controller is the Nation’s Leader in virtual bookkeeping, providing service to businesses and households alike. Utilizing Complete Controller’s technology, clients gain access to a cloud-hosted desktop where their entire team and tax accountant may access the QuickBooks™️ file, critical financial documents, and back-office tools in an efficient and secure environment. Complete Controller’s team of certified US-based accounting professionals provide bookkeeping, record storage, performance reporting, and controller services including training, cash-flow management, budgeting and forecasting, process and controls advisement, and bill-pay. With flat-rate service plans, Complete Controller is the most cost-effective expert accounting solution for business, family-office, trusts, and households of any size or complexity.