For the first time, burnout was talked about in the seventies of the last century, but it seems that everything stopped in these conversations. At least officially. Emotional burnout is still not suspicious as a disease. In the ICD, it falls under the concept of “overwork,” and medics can even make a non-concrete diagnosis of “depression.” But the problems with burnout are worldwide, and that same overwork and depression are indications.
Who is prone to burnout?
Sensitive burnout can overtake anyone: representatives of most contemporary professions can burn out, irrespective of how unchanging and emotionally stable a person is.
- Medical sector employees (they are especially burning out now – during the COVID-19 pandemic).
- Personnel of banking institutions and financial organizations.
- IT workers
- Law enforcement officers.
- Retail specialists, etc.
Most often, the condition is observed in consultants whose work is straightly related to communication: with other people, company employees, assistants, etc.
Due to their frivolous attitude to themselves, many cloud burnout with overwork. It will help you relax for a few days, get enough sleep, work out a hobby, and most importantly, abstract yourself from everyday affairs: business, work, study. But with responsive burnout, everything is more complicated – over time, the syndrome can only worsen if no action is taken.
The sooner it is possible to diagnose the problem and recognize the signs and symptoms of emotional burnout, the more likely it is to eliminate the syndrome quickly. I have divided the signs into three groups to make them more precise:
Chronic fatigue, physical and moral exhaustion:
- You start to spend more time gathering and preparing for the working day in the morning.
- You go to bed early and wake up tired anyway.
- You are constantly afraid of something and worry about tomorrow.
Small daily tasks take up more energy than before.
Detachment, cynicism, aggression:
- Trying to leave the workplace as quickly as possible.
- The feeling that you do not have any prospects and achievements (in work, personal life, and study) does not leave.
- You quickly lose patience with colleagues, family members, and friends who make even minor mistakes.
Constant feeling of inefficiency at work:
- Productivity decreases.
- It seems that you do nothing at the workplace.
- Develops the feeling that all efforts are doomed to failure.
If you notice these signs in yourself, I advise you to contact a specialist as soon as possible to prevent the development of the syndrome.
How to prevent burnout
If you caught yourself at a very early stage and the burnout has not yet begun, everything is quite simple:
- Do not overestimate the significance of events, especially at work. It will help to avoid unreasonable unrest.
- Set apart at least one day a week when you will do what you like.
- Spend more time with friends.
How to stop burnout
I can be scolded here by personal growth experts, but first, realize that you are not a superhero who can do anything. Your day is limited to twenty-four hours, and you are not omnipotent – you have your ceiling of possibilities. If you have no illusions about this (well done!), here are some more tips to help stop burnout:
- Get enough sleep, try to normalize your schedule, and take breaks and pauses at work. Try at least once every few hours to be distracted from implementing the project/task. You can set aside fifteen minutes to walk near the office or home.
- Change activities. Alternate work with everyday tasks or sports. Jogging or going to the gym, for example, in the afternoon, will increase your productivity and improve your emotional state.
- Rest. On weekends or non-working days, disengage entirely from work/business or school.
- Get a charge of positive emotions. Try to visit cinemas, theatres, water parks, and other entertainment places that you enjoy.
- And be sure to see a surgeon. Articles on the Internet (even useful ones like this one) are great, but with the help of a real specialist, you cannot compare them.
Don’t burn out!About Complete Controller® – America’s Bookkeeping Experts Complete Controller is the Nation’s Leader in virtual bookkeeping, providing service to businesses and households alike. Utilizing Complete Controller’s technology, clients gain access to a cloud platform where their QuickBooks™️ file, critical financial documents, and back-office tools are hosted in an efficient SSO environment. Complete Controller’s team of certified US-based accounting professionals provide bookkeeping, record storage, performance reporting, and controller services including training, cash-flow management, budgeting and forecasting, process and controls advisement, and bill-pay. With flat-rate service plans, Complete Controller is the most cost-effective expert accounting solution for business, family-office, trusts, and households of any size or complexity.