Check Your Credit
- Check for Flab: Review your accounts and dispute anything that isn’t correct. Call creditors and negotiate a settlement to pay off your debt or get on a payment plan.
- Flex your Muscles: Call your credit card company and ask for a credit increase, calculate what 1/3 of your available credit is, so you know what amount to never exceed in credit card spending, look at the number of credit inquiries and set a goal to have that be lower by the end of the year.
Know Your Ratios
- Check for Flab: Run your ratios to discover how you perform as a credit risk. If you are a Complete Controller client ask your Controller about looking at your ratios on our reporting dashboard. Know what ratios banks prefer and set goals for improving yours. Here are a couple that make a big difference: debt to equity ratio, current ratio, and for a business, net profit margin.
- Flex your Muscles: Use those awesome ratios to build business credit, buy an asset in the business, check your Dunn & Bradstreet report to make sure they are attributing your new use of credit to your business. When your muscles get really big, you can buy a building.
Build Your Savings
- Check for Flab: Look at your savings and determine whether they amount to at least 3 full month’s expenses. If you own a business, you should have 3 months savings for business expenses tucked away as well as 3 months savings for household expenses. Entrepreneurship is risky and this is one way you can protect yourself in case of unplanned mayhem.
- Flex your Muscles: Look at establishing a cash benefit plan or 401(k) for your business so you can save even more. This doesn’t replace your 3 months expenses which should always be liquid. When your muscles get really big, begin thinking about self-insuring using a captive. It’s a great way to take a write off on insurance and get the money back as dividends – now you’re playing with the big dogs.
Set Your Goals
- Check for Flab: Make sure you are not setting yourself up for failure. Make goals that are measurable and achievable. If you aren’t making progress toward your goals, recalibrate – take a step back and look at internal and external influences that may be getting in your way. Although personal and business goals can often be intertwined it is important to list them separately then look for contradictions between the two.
- Flex your Muscles: Set short term and long term goals and make sure to name the people or roles that will be involved in supporting each achievement. It is a team of various strengths that makes us strong. Consider training or mentorship and a great place to start is Clifton Gallup Strengths Finders.
Chase Your Passion
- Check for Flab: We are stronger and more purposeful if we are chasing a greater good. Passion fuels us to get through the mire because we know that something great is brewing. Define your passion. You will be more effective and happier if you are determined to make meaning in everything you do.
- Flex your Muscles: As entrepreneurs, we have the opportunity to be leaders in our business, community, and families. Great leaders build up the people around them. Spot potential in others and make room for them to flex their muscles successfully. By fostering their growth and earned esteem, you will all become more passionate as a team.
About Complete Controller® – America’s Bookkeeping Experts Complete Controller is the Nation’s Leader in virtual accounting, providing services to businesses and households alike. Utilizing Complete Controller’s technology, clients gain access to a cloud-hosted desktop where their entire team and tax accountant may access the QuickBooks file and critical financial documents in an efficient and secure environment. Complete Controller’s team of US based accounting professionals are certified QuickBooks™️ ProAdvisor’s providing bookkeeping and controller services including training, full or partial-service bookkeeping, cash-flow management, budgeting and forecasting, vendor and receivables management, process and controls advisement, and customized reporting. Offering flat rate pricing, Complete Controller is the most cost effective expert accounting solution for business, family office, trusts, and households of any size or complexity.