A home-based business brings many refreshing ideas to mind, such as coffee breaks in the backyard, giving time to your kids in between tasks, nap time during breaks, and many more. All of these seem luxuries to a person of today’s era, especially if they are currently running a business somewhere far from home and have a lot of traveling each day.
It also looks pretty appealing if you manage your family and kids simultaneously. If you have obvious reasons for staying home and managing your office work from there, it’s something to think about. Or, if you have just started a business and have not earned enough to pay for leased office space, it’s an excellent way to save money.
Guide to Running a Home-Based Business
Besides all the benefits, running a business from home does not leave you without business liabilities. If you are thinking about making this change, here is a guide to get you started with running a home-based business.
Step 1: Prepare Yourself for the Decision
Ask yourself the following questions if you are wondering whether staying home for office work would be beneficial.
- Can you manage the interruptions if you are working from home?
- Can you bear the isolation during working hours if you live in an independent suite not shared by your family or friends?
- Do you mind your clients coming to your personal space? All clients may not be of the type to be welcomed into your home.
- Are you planning to grow your office and hire people? It will also require more space and furnishings according to the requirements of your office. If your business is growing and more space is required for your employees, storage, and equipment, you will probably need to consider leasing a space.
Compare your home-based business with leasing an office space.
Leasing an office is a perfect option if it is in your vicinity with low rent and overhead costs. The cons of hiring an office will leave you with an annual rent increase, added utilities, etc. When deciding between a home-based business and leasing a space, consider all the costs incurred with both.
Step 2: Create an Environment of an Office in your Home
Furnish a space in your home with all of the needs of an actual office. You may want a completely separate room so that you can contain your workspace in one place. It’s good to separate work and home, even if you work from home. If you need to buy accounting software or other equipment, consider what you need to make your business successful.
Your home-based business office should be per the requirements of your business. Its environment must not turn away your potential customers/clients. You can make it warm and cozy but keep it professional as well.
Step 3: Put Your Talents and Skills Together and Generate Business Ideas
Before launching your business, consider the following “to-do” list:
- Tax Preparation
- Business Manager
- Professional organizer
- Virtual Assistant
Step 4: Figure out the costs. Do an audit of your own business. Challenge yourself to improve with every passing day.
Consider the following benefits of a home-based business:
- The best thing about a home-based office is that you will not pay for additional space for your newly started small business that has yet to make its worth.
- You do not have to pay monthly or annual rent for a home office space.
- Your business is new, and it could take 30-90 days to start making money. Meanwhile, renting a leased office space requires you to get a loan.
- A home-based office means lower overhead costs.
- You can outsource service providers for your business without hiring them, For example, accountants and contractors.
- For new companies, there is a tax-driven advantage to starting your home. The IRS allows home-based small business owners to deduct a proportionate of their home expenses from their annual taxes.
A home-based business has many potential benefits. Rent and utilities cost less. Taxation matters give some exemptions. There are low overhead costs. Create your idea, plan it out, and work on your plan. Your home-based business is ready to launch.About Complete Controller® – America’s Bookkeeping Experts Complete Controller is the Nation’s Leader in virtual bookkeeping, providing service to businesses and households alike. Utilizing Complete Controller’s technology, clients gain access to a cloud platform where their QuickBooks™️ file, critical financial documents, and back-office tools are hosted in an efficient SSO environment. Complete Controller’s team of certified US-based accounting professionals provide bookkeeping, record storage, performance reporting, and controller services including training, cash-flow management, budgeting and forecasting, process and controls advisement, and bill-pay. With flat-rate service plans, Complete Controller is the most cost-effective expert accounting solution for business, family-office, trusts, and households of any size or complexity.