Innovation, such as QuickBooks, has revolutionized traditional accounting procedures. The greater emphasis on automation of various processes has enabled a real-time exchange of information, increased mobility via remote access to information, and greater autonomy for business owners who are now less dependent on their financial advisors. This is primarily because automation has made information easier to comprehend. Traditional, manual bookkeeping is now more interactive and user-friendly, following the advent of accounting software like QuickBooks.
Why Not QuickBooks Desktop?
Initially, QuickBooks Desktop was introduced during the 1990s and was welcomed by many businesses to simplify their accounting procedures. Despite its various features allowing for greater customization in terms of tracking expenses, sales, and generation of budgets and reports, this desktop version has been outdone in terms of performance by QuickBooks Online. The reasons that led to a decline in its popularity and the necessary upgrade to a newer version are as follows:
- The single-user mode has been an obstacle for many businesses that require multiple user scenarios within the company. This always obstructed the access to the desktop system by a user. Single user mode only allows one individual to log into the system and work on it. Multiple user mode is necessary for businesses today, owing to their virtual transcendence and the need to have real-time access to data remotely.
- Another issue businesses faced using QuickBooks Desktop was the disruption caused due to the annual upgrade. This update not only cost additional money to the business but also led to system disruptions.
- In addition, any disruptions caused by the system upgrade had to be managed through paid support. This version of QuickBooks does not come with free support. Instead, it must be paid for, which is an additional cost for the business.
- Furthermore, installing upfront software onto the server has been boisterous for businesses. The 21st century is marked by cloud-based tools to share resources and information in real-time. The use of an installed system seems obsolete in the present era. This is most likely to encourage the movement from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.
Why QuickBooks Online?
With the introduction of a newer version, businesses have switched to this online version of the software. The additional benefits derived from this upgraded version are as follows:
- QuickBooks Online allows for a multiple-login mode whereby up to 5 users can have access to the interface from any remote location via any internet-enabled device, including a PC, Mac Book, or Tablet.
- Another benefit of switching over to this version has been increased automation. Invoice scheduling, connecting to online applications, and online hosting phone support have all become available with this newer version.
- Moreover, QuickBooks Online allows for automatic downloading of all business transactions, a feature that was missing in QuickBooks Desktop.
- The cloud-based online presence of information and resources has allowed businesses to move over to this version, thereby enabling virtual transcendence across the globe.
- Any software upgrades are provided free of cost, unlike the desktop version of QuickBooks. The latest updates on products and features are also inbuilt into the system, requiring no additional cost.
- Lastly, another important reason for this upgrade has been the cost savings through the QuickBooks Online version, which demands a monthly subscription relative to the annual payment that was required for the desktop version. In addition, no software installation is required, and an internet connection is all that you need to start its 30-day free trial.
As a result of the upgrade in its various features, QuickBooks Online has captivated the attention of most businesses that are now switching over to the more flexible and mobile version of QuickBooks.About Complete Controller® – America’s Bookkeeping Experts Complete Controller is the Nation’s Leader in virtual bookkeeping, providing service to businesses and households alike. Utilizing Complete Controller’s technology, clients gain access to a cloud platform where their QuickBooks™️ file, critical financial documents, and back-office tools are hosted in an efficient SSO environment. Complete Controller’s team of certified US-based accounting professionals provide bookkeeping, record storage, performance reporting, and controller services including training, cash-flow management, budgeting and forecasting, process and controls advisement, and bill-pay. With flat-rate service plans, Complete Controller is the most cost-effective expert accounting solution for business, family-office, trusts, and households of any size or complexity.