The default QuickBooks online forms do not have a professional feel and also do not have enough space to fit all of the information related to customers or your business. It’s imperative to customize sales receipts as they reflect the identity of your business. Since sales receipts are sent to your customers, you want them to be specialized and contain detailed info, which your customers expect.
When you send an invoice for a sale or an estimate for work that you plan to do for them in the future, it must entail all key information related to that specific customer and critical details of your business proceeding that are important for them to know.
QuickBooks online allows you to customize invoices, sales receipts, and estimates according to your preferences with little effort. Invoices can be customized by clicking on the Sales Tab, which will entail a Gear Icon that will eventually take you to Account and Settings. The sales tab allows you to work on the following aspects of your business.
- Sales form content
- Online deliveries
- Products and services
- Customize the look and feel
The Customization Phase
Within the Account and Settings tab, you have to go to the Sales Tab, which further allows you to select Customize Look and Feel. Once you have reached this point, you will have the option to select among Custom Form Styles or opt for a New Style by clicking the icon with the same name. This will bring you to the Customize Form Style page, where the actual process of customization will take place. There are a total of 5 areas where QuickBooks Online can help you create a sales invoice that reflects the true essence of your business.
- Activity table
This is typically the first step in the customization phase, and you are offered five templates to choose from, which are mentioned below.
Each of the templates mentioned above has a different formatting style, and, based on your preference, you may choose one. This will be the basic layout of your invoice, so choose an appropriate style for a specific invoice.
The appearance section in QuickBooks Online will allow you to customize the following items on your invoices, sales receipts, and estimates.
- The way your logo appears and setting an appropriate size for it.
- Once the size is selected, you need to place it in the right spot. Just drag and drop where you want the logo to appear.
- Selecting a suitable font for your invoice is also done in the appearance section.
- Setting line spacing according to the length of the invoice is vital, especially in estimates, as they happen to be longer than the rest.
- For non-custom letterheads, you have an option to include page margins.
The Activity Table in QuickBooks online is a convenient tool for particular situations. All invoices have columns on them, and this allows you to customize the appropriate columns on your sales receipts and invoices. There is an option for you to select the quantity in hours if you charge on the bill by hours. You can also change it to weekly or monthly, depending on your choice.
The Header section allows you to make the following changes to your invoices and other documents.
- The name of the document would appear in the header, and any preferred name is selected.
- Information about your company, such as email, phone number, website, and other critical details, must be included in the header section.
- If there are any terms and conditions of the payment, they must also be included in the header to be among the first things your customer reads.
The Footer section can either be ignored or used in a way to send a positive message to your customer. QuickBooks Online allows you to customize your footer with an appreciation message for your customer, such as ‘we are proud to do business with you or any other such comments.